The importance of a good office chair
With office workers spending over 36 hours a week seated at their desks, it is more important than ever to ensure you have a good quality office chair. But what defines a good office chair? And why is it so important?
In recent years there has been an abundance of research into the detrimental effects of “sitting” on our health. Scientists have even gone so far as branding “sitting” as the new “smoking”, suggesting that sitting for long periods of time could increase our risk of developing serious health issues such as, diabetes, heart disease, muscular pain and back issues. Furniture designers have responded to the issue with the promotion of the ergonomic “sit-stand desk”, encouraging workers to spend more of their day stood up. The “sit-stand desk” is a height adjustable desk that allows you to either sit behind the desk or stand behind it, therefore limiting the time you are sitting each day. A simple idea that can have a big impact on your health.
However, there are times when sitting at work is unavoidable. For these times the perfect office chair is required. Finding the right chair for your body is vital for both your health and work productivity. So what makes a good office chair? Here are a few things to look out for when getting an office chair. These features are designed to reduce back pain and support your body by encouraging good posture.
- Adjustable seat height and width: The height of your chair should be fully adjustable allowing you to position it so that your feet lay flat on the ground. (There should be a space between front of the seat and the back of your knees.)
- Lumbar support: You should have an adjustable back that curves to the shape of your lower back. This is to prevent you from slouching and improves your posture.
- Adjustable arm rests to allow you to rest your elbows; your forearm should not be resting here whilst typing.
- Seat material: Soft cushioned seat material to support your weight evenly.
- Swivel: Your chair should easily rotate so that you are able to move around to reach things easily without straining.
When you are buying a new office chair, try getting the best chair money can buy. Look at ergonomics and adjustability before looks. Often times the most ergonomic chair won’t be the most beautiful looking chair.
Contact us if you are looking for a new office chair, but you are unsure where to start.
If you don’t have money to spend on a new chair, try adding an adjustable footrest under your desk. This footrest takes some pressure off your back and spine. They are also ideal for shorter people. Especially if your office chair is not height adjustable.
You can shop for an adjustable footrest here.
Looking after your back health now, can save you time and money in the future!